Nascar Talladega Fan Death

by umer | 9:04 AM in |

Nascar Talladega Fan Death--Talladega County authorities say a suspected carbon monoxide leak killed a Tennessee man who was camping out for the Sprint Cup race at Talladega Superspeedway this past weekend.

Sheriff Jimmy Kilgore says friends of the man and his wife found the couple unresponsive inside their motor home at Talladega Superspeedway on Saturday afternoon.

Deputy Coroner Larry Seals says the couple was likely using a gas stove for heat and there was a problem with the generator's exhaust system. Authorities found the man dead when they arrived, and his wife has been hospitalized in Birmingham. The man's identity has not yet been released.

The man is at least the second NASCAR fan to die while camping out near the track this year. In early May a Georgia man accidentally drowned in a creek near the track.

Other fans also have died from carbon monoxide poisioning while camping at the track over the years.