Aikman manley apologizes slur

by umer | 9:57 AM in |

Aikman manley apologizes slur--Troy Aikman has remained quiet after Dexter Manley apologizes for using a gay slur to describe the former Dallas Cowboys quarterback during a Monday morning appearance at WTOP radio station. The comment took everyone by surprise.

While discussing Sunday’s Redskins game, the lighthearted discussion was wrapping up when hosts Mike Moss and Bruce Alan jokingly asked if the team’s collapse against the Denver Broncos could be blamed on the current Fox analyst.

Manley then used a gay slur to refer to Aikman. The hosts quickly changed the tone of the conversation and gave Manley a chance to apologize to Aikman. “No,” Manley said.

After being nudged into making an apology, the former Washington Redskins All-Pro finally did. “I’m sorry about that,” Manley said. “I take that back.”

Jim Farley, WTOP’s Vice-President of News and Programming, sent a tweet that said Manley would not be back on the station. A statement released later Monday confirmed that decision and apologized to listeners for Manley’s comments.

Manley followed with an apology via email to Dan Steinberg of The Washington Post, which was then posted on the DC Sports Bog:

“In an interview with WTOP radio Monday, while intending to be funny, I used a slur to refer to Troy Aikman. It was wrong and insensitive. Anyone that knows me knows that’s not who I am in my heart or mind. I want to apologize to Troy, but I mostly want to apologize to anyone else I offended. Like a lot of people in these times, I have to realize that what I thought was funny years ago doesn’t work now. I’ll do my best to make sure it doesn’t happen again and hope you will accept my apology.”

Much of Manley’s media career has been based on a flirtation with the boundaries of good taste. He was fond of threatening to break the private parts of younger male media members. He recently told WTOP that he would skip watching preseason football, instead choosing to have sex with his wife.